Mentor Texts {Synthesizing}

I am continuing my theme of mentor texts to teach various reading strategies. As always, PLEASE let me know if you know of any other texts to teach these strategies. I am always on the lookout for a good book to teach these strategies.
Today's strategy is synthesizing. I love the way this picture sums of synthesizing. Click the link to see where I found it.
https://sites.google.com/site/mediaenglish2014/home/lessons/02---skills-lesson-synthesizing-information

I only have two mentor texts from my list so far, but I have included a couple others I plan to get at the bottom.


The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles


Summary from Amazon: The year is 1960, and six-year-old Ruby Bridges and her family have recently moved from Mississippi to New Orleans in search of a better life. When a judge orders Ruby to attend first grade at William Frantz Elementary, an all-white school, Ruby must face angry mobs of parents who refuse to send their children to school with her. Told with Robert Coles' powerful narrative and dramatically illustrated by George Ford, Ruby's story of courage, faith, and hope is now available in this special 50th anniversary edition with an updated afterword!




The Wretched Stone by Chris Van Allsburg

Summary from Amazon: In a story recounted through the daily log of Captain Allan Hope, the sailors aboard the Rita Anne become mesmerized and transformed by a mysterious glowing rock, and only music and books can restore them to normal.
These two books by Chris Van Allsburg are on my list to purchase.  

 

What books do you use to teach students to synthesize?

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top